Vanderbilt University Senior Costing Analyst in Nashville, Tennessee
Senior Costing Analyst (Job Number: 1802219)
The Office of Contract and Grant Accounting is a service-oriented team dedicated to Vanderbilt University’s research and academic missions. We are committed to excellence in performing functions that support both sponsored projects and cost accounting, which promote and ensure the accountability of sponsored funds. Through professionalism, effective communication and responsive service, we contribute to Vanderbilt’s continuing success as a top research institution.
The Senior Costing Analyst position will have a lead role in the preparation and development of the organization's cost analysis activities. Responsibilities will include gathering, analyzing, understanding and reviewing data to ensure proper allocation of costs to the benefiting functions. Ensures the integrity of internal/external data sources and workflows. Prepares timely and
accurate reports for both internal and external purposes consistent with a basic understanding of the Institutional mission, policies and procedures as well as applicable external regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
▪ Takes a lead role in the preparation of the facilities and administrative rate proposal which must be must be prepared in accordance with government regulations and requirements. Tasks include updating complex spreadsheet models, managing large databases, reconciling various subsystems, and
identifying and modeling various scenarios to determine impact to Vanderbilt.
▪ Manages the space survey process from a Facilities and Administrative Rate Proposal and cost allocation perspective. This includes conducting several space training sessions, reviewing research department surveys, and assisting departments where needed to complete their surveys.
▪ Ensures that Plant Operations expenses are properly accounted for and allocated in the F&A Rate Proposal. This involves using schedules prepared by Plant Operations for internal purposes and adapting them to meet the needs for F&A Rate calculations and proposals.
▪ Coordinates the University’s Component Study of research buildings. This involves gathering project information for capital projects, assisting consultants with the study, and ensuring results are properly recorded in the Fixed Assets module.
▪ Cross-trains for the Fringe Benefit Rate process including reconciliations between the Human Resource subsystem and the general ledger, monthly accrual calculations and validations, proposal preparation for the federal government, etc.
▪ Completes complex reconciliations of unique data requiring expertise and understanding of multiple transaction sources. Examples may include: reconciliations of the facilities and administrative cost reports to the financial statements, capital asset reconciliations, payroll reconciliations, and Space reconciliations, etc.
This position does not have supervisory responsibility. This position reports administratively to the Senior Accounting Manager of Contract and Grant Accounting and functionally to the Director of Contract and Grant Accounting.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
▪ A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education is necessary, however, a Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education is preferred.
▪ 3 years of relevant experience is necessary.
▪ Extensive knowledge of common business software applications (Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) is necessary.
▪ Ability to effectively work with large databases in access, write queries, and understand table relationships is necessary.
▪ Excellent communication skills are necessary.
▪ Professionalism and ability to work with confidential and sensitive information are necessary.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 35100 - Contract and Grant Accounting
Job: Fiscal Affairs Professionals
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action