Vanderbilt University Research Assistant II (Cell and Developmental Biology) in Nashville, Tennessee
Research Assistant II (Cell and Developmental Biology) (Job Number: 1801859)
Support a dynamic laboratory of about ten people, including graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Perform routine laboratory procedures, including ordering supplies, keeping the laboratory inventory up to date, making solutions and other reagents, maintaining laboratory equipment, maintaining mouse colony, breeding records, and animal protocol. Genotyping mice, and helping other lab personnel with experiments. Keeping cell cultures, reagent stocks, liquid nitrogen tanks, freezers, and refrigerators. Maintain radioactivity log and associated wipe tests. Performing experiments using cell and molecular biology techniques such as cloning, cryo-sectioning, cell imaging, antibody characterization, immunoprecipitations and blotting, protein expression, cell culture, lentivirus production, transfections.
Specific skills andexperience:
· Experience with handling mouse colonies, breeding, and genotyping.
· Technical skills in cell and molecular biological techniques are necessary.
· Experience with microscopy/FACS is preferred.
· Experience with Vanderbilt ordering and regulatory processes.
Specific key functions and expected performance:
· Ordering supplies, keeping the laboratory inventory up to date, making solutions and other reagents. Working with sales representatives, obtaining quotes, ordering equipment.
· Maintaining mouse colonies, breeding records, and animal protocol. Ensure that lab personnel follows protocol. Performing genotyping.
· Practices safety, environmental, and infection control methods.
· Maintaining reagent stocks, liquid nitrogen tanks, and freezers.
· Work with lab personnel on cell and molecular biology experiments.
· Sets up equipment for use in the lab; ensures proper operation of equipment, and reports operating deficiencies to supervisor; provides training to incoming students and postdoctoral fellows in equipment operation.
· The possibility of developing an independent research project.
Job requires Bachelors and 2 years of experience or the equivalent.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 18230 - Cell and Developmental Biology
Job: Research / Lab Tech / Paraprofessional
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action