Vanderbilt University Research Assistant I - Center for Structural Biology Mega Lab. in Nashville, Tennessee
Research Assistant I - Center for Structural Biology Mega Lab. (Job Number: 1900553)
The Research Assistant I position provides support to the Center for Structural Biology Mega Lab. The role will perform administrative, research, and technical duties for the laboratory. The individual will work closely with graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and laboratory managers in a dynamic laboratory environment. The ability to function independently, as well as part of a team, is critical.
Structural biology research laboratory consists of three Principal Investigator research groups. The work unit is made up of faculty, research staff, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students.
Key Functions and Expected Performance:
Assists in Research and Development:
· Preparation of buffers and reagents
· Production of DNA vectors for protein expression
· Bacterial overexpression and purification of proteins
· Conducts lab space maintenance
· Writes and updates laboratory protocols
· Performs test experiments to evaluate quality of reagents
· Assembles and compile research data for presentation and/or reports
· Maintains laboratory equipment including, but not limited to – centrifuges, incubated shakers, HPLC, circular dichroism spectropolarimeter, differential scanning calorimeter, dynamic light scattering, fluorometer, etc.
· Oversees and train research and support staff
· Proper storage and maintenance of protein stocks
· Participate in weekly and bimonthly meetings to discuss project progress
· Other tasks as directed by supervisor
Ensures the most effective operation of the laboratory:
· Maintains procedures manual
· Maintains chemical inventory
o Open communication with Vanderbilt Environmental Health and Safety to maintain compliance
· Maintains an inventory of supplies
· Anticipates the laboratory needs and order supplies for on-going and future experiments
· Negotiates pricing for sales and service of equipment, supplies, and contracts
· Updates laboratory program website using existing platforms
· Ensures website contains current information
Performs administrative duties:
· Enters monthly billing charges into iLab
· Submits repair work orders as needed
· Assigns monthly lab maintenance duties as needed
· Organizes monthly meetings with lab managers
§ A Bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, biological sciences, chemistry, or related field from an accredited institution of higher education is necessary.
§ A Master’s degree in biochemistry, biological sciences, chemistry, or related field from an accredited institution of higher education is preferred.
§ Knowledge and experience with microbiology, bacterial protein expression and purification is preferred
§ Experience in a structural biology laboratory is preferred
§ Experience with organization, inventory, and record keeping is preferred
§ Knowledge of working with and maintaining laboratory equipment is preferred
§ Experience in purification of proteins by bench top and automate chromatographic methods is preferred
About Vanderbilt Benefits
Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses, and dependent children.
Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, is a top-15 private research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. Vanderbilt is situated on a 330-acre campus near the thriving city center, serving more than 12,000 students and employing almost 7,000 faculty and staff. The university’s students, staff, and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. Vanderbilt was recently named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” and the top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area in 2018 (Forbes).
Commitmentto Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Vanderbilt University is committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our campus values.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 18270 - Structural Biology
Job: Research / Lab Tech / Paraprofessional
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action