Vanderbilt University Librarian for STEM Research in Nashville, Tennessee
Librarian for STEM Research (Job Number: 1801473)
About the Position and Responsibilities:
The Vanderbilt University Libraries seeks two (2) creative and motivated STEM subject specialists to join the team of librarians in the Sarah Shannon Stevenson Science and Engineering Library. These are full-time positions reporting to the Director of the Stevenson Science and Engineering Library. The Librarians for STEM Research will join the staff of the Stevenson Science and Engineering Library, supporting the faculty and students in the Vanderbilt School of Engineering, as well as all of the science disciplines in the College of Arts and Sciences.
The Library is currently undergoing a transformation in which spaces and services are being redesigned and reimagined, and librarians are shifting their focus towards deeper engagement with students and researchers. The Librarians for STEM Research will play a critical role in creating a new Stevenson Science and Engineering Library. Working as members of the team of Stevenson librarians, each STEM Research Librarian will:
● Actively and systematically engage with faculty and students in engineering and science departments.
● Develop programs and offerings to provide expert research support at all stages of the research life cycle.
● Help build an information literacy program that is integrated into the science and engineering curricula.
● Contribute to collections strategies that are sustainable and responsive to user needs.
● Regularly publish, present and otherwise contribute to the library science profession.
About Vanderbilt University:
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 located a little more than a mile from downtown Nashville, TN. The university’s students, faculty, staff and visitors frequently cite Nashville as one of the perks of Vanderbilt. VU is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #1 in the Princeton Review at https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2017/08/01/vanderbilt-has-happiest-students-again-according-to-2017-princeton-review-best-colleges-rankings/ among 382 top colleges and universities for “happiest students” - as well as #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
Qualifications and Experience:
● Master’s degree in library and information science, or equivalent combination of skills and experience.
● Educational background in an engineering or science discipline.
● Outstanding communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to teach and present effectively.
● Knowledge and/or interest in using emerging technologies to enhance the delivery of information services.
● Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on teams
● Ability to manage multiple priorities in a changing environment.
● Experience working as a science or engineering subject specialist in an academic research library.
● Knowledge of current research tools and issues including data science, open science and open research, research impact, data visualization, etc.
● Experience writing grant proposals.
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, VU offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU Benefits Overview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/2018-Benefits-Overview_Future-Employees.pdf
Job requires Masters and 0 Years of experience or the equivalent.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 31190 - Science and Engineering Library
Job: Academic Affairs Professionals
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action