Vanderbilt University Business Intelligence Analyst in Nashville, Tennessee
Business Intelligence Analyst (Job Number: 1801433)
About the Position: Vanderbilt University has an exciting opportunity for a Business Intelligence Analyst. As a Business Intelligence Analyst you will develop requirements for Business intelligence solutions with guidance, and assist in utilizing BI tools to satisfy end user data needs and perform Data Analysis functions.
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 and located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. The university’s students, faculty, and staff frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently named the “best large employer” in Tennessee and a top employer for women by Forbes , ranked #1 in the PrincetonReview among 384 top colleges and universities for having the best financial aid in the nation – as well as #3 for “happiest students,” “quality of life” and “beautiful campus,” #4 for both being in a “college city that students love” and for having “great campus/city relations.”
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develops requirements for Business intelligence solutions under occasional guidance.
· Proficient in utilizing BI tools to satisfy end user data needs.
· Performs Data Analysis functions.
· Implements small projects or components of large projects.
· Ability to solve medium to complex problems.
· Performs functions related to requirements definition, data analysis and BI tool utilization.
· Ensures appropriate documentation for all development and modification.
· Ensures integrity and security of institutional data.
About the Work Unit:
Collaborative, open team room work space environment.
Expected to be an individual contributor while working collaboratively with team members, manager and other internal resources.
Key Functions and Expected Performance:
· Business Intelligence Tools (35%) : Has successfully used the tool in situations of medium complexity. Occasionally needs assistance from internal technical support in usage of the tool. May have successfully completed in-depth training in core components of the skill. Able to install and upgrade the tool.
· Business Requirements Definition (15%) : Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate knowledge of Business Requirements Definition in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Able to identify potential problems through basic analysis and develop appropriate test cases to assure effective testing of the application. Can analyze a Business Requirements Definition to determine processing flow, testing scenarios and user requirements. Familiar with the steps necessary to complete a Business Requirements Definition for more advanced systems.
· Data Analysis (30%) : Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the skill in practical data analysis applications of moderate difficulty. Navigates within established technology environments to locate, validate, extract, and format data for data analysis. Able to modify and run queries and standard reports from data tools and provide to users. Can identify data values and data sources. Is familiar with data modeling. Is able to interview business customers to elicit data requirements and understand the relationships between data items. Collects historical and forecasted call data to use for scheduling and staffing.
· Data Mining (20%) : Has demonstrated an understanding of analysis methods, design concepts, data organization, business models, capabilities and limitations. Has used at least one of the state-of-the-art software tools best for implementing the method.
Experience and Education :
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education is necessary.
· Minimum of 2 years of experience is necessary
· Knowledge of data, databases and systems is necessary
· Experience with Oracle Business Intelligence, SQL-based querying skills is highly preferred
Benefits: In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, VU offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU Benefits Overview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/2018-Benefits-Overview_Future-Employees.pdf
Key Characteristics of aSuccessful Team Member in this Work Unit:
§ Analytical & Detail-Oriented – Accurately assesses information and applies applicable law, policy and procedure. Considers the long term implications of actions today and advises employees appropriately. Even small mistakes can create big issues; attention to detail work indicates care about the outcomes.
§ Integrity – Holds oneself accountable; takes responsibility for failures as well as successes, recognizes that trust is required to hold a team together.
§ Maturity – Exhibits professional maturity; doesn’t pass the buck to dodge accountability; doesn’t engage in petty office politics or inappropriate social conduct
§ Responds Promptly – When emails and phone messages aren’t returned in a timely way, it sends the message that the other party is not important. Responds even if just to acknowledge receipt and provide a timeframe by which the requester can expect a full response.
§ Reliable – Does what they say they will do, when they say they will do it. Shows up for work when expected. Doesn’t push the burden of work volume or deadlines to others.
Job requires Bachelors and 2 Years of experience or the equivalent.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 46414 - Business Intelligence Projects and Delivery
Job: Information Technology Professionals
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action