Vanderbilt University Building Systems Control Supervisor in Nashville, Tennessee
Building Systems Control Supervisor (Job Number: 2001059)
The Building Systems Control Supervisor position is part of the Plant Operations Department at Vanderbilt University and is responsible for overseeing smooth operations in the campus central control room and monitoring station. This position will manage the Building System Control operators as well as fill in when required as an operator. In addition to their supervisory responsibilities, they should also be able to analyze systems alarms and failures; determine if corrective actions are needed; monitor fire alarms, security alarms, and HVAC systems in place throughout campus; provide off-hour plant operations coverage on a rotational shift basis within Vanderbilt University’s buildings as necessary. Reporting directly to the Building Systems Control Manager, the BSC Supervisor will work as a partner and in collaboration with all departments throughout the VU campus daily.
Building Systems Control provides the Vanderbilt community with many unique services that enhance the University’s quality of work-life and better utilize the University’s resources in order to provide an effective and secure living/learning environment for our students and faculty.
Duties and Responsibilities
With rising electrical, coal, water/sewer and natural gas costs it is of the utmost importance to attempt to control these costs. This role will control utility utilization to the greatest possible savings without disruption of the living/learning/ environment.
• Maintain liaison between members of the University community, contractors, service providers, and regulators to secure and transmit information relative to safety and efficient campus operation.
• Coordinate and establish schedules, task assignments and allocation of manpower, materials, and equipment to ensure conformance and coverage for 24/7 control room operations.
• Fill in at BSC when operationally required.
• Review and maintain BSC log keeping and records.
• Manage personnel actions with the Department of Human Resources to ensure that applicable policies are followed.
• Continuously develop, improve, and update existing protocols, procedures, contact information, and other BSC resources.
• Coordinate with other departments on key issuance, construction projects/updates, camera/bollard functions, and other issues as required.
• Provide leadership in managing relationships with other campus departments by conducting training and workplace shadowing with others.
Utility Monitoring and Energy Conservation
• Thorough understanding of the capabilities of the systems and components that are in place.
• Develops control strategies that consider the interactions of all systems and components to achieve the desired results.
• Maintains knowledge of the capabilities of our systems and components and implement new advances being made and other improvement alternatives through ongoing training.
Equipment or Asset Protection and Useful Life Utilization
• Protects the University’s investment in buildings and capital equipment through continuous monitoring.
• Implements operating and shut down strategies that do not negatively impact the building and systems.
Daily Log of Alarms, Calls, and Campus Maintenance Activities
• Maintains accurate and detailed daily log of activities of important events to allow us to quickly identify problems, verify resolutions, and verify the proper execution of our system control strategies.
• Maintains a daily log for locked out pieces of equipment and on-going work.
System Monitoring and Proactive Maintenance Troubleshooting
• Makes proactive decisions concerning when and how to direct employees to potential trouble calls.
• Monitors, diagnoses, dispatches, and verifies resolutions to problems in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Point of Contact for HVAC Trouble Calls (24 hours a day - 7 days a week)
• Manages all calls for hot or cold work orders.
• Collects initial information and attempt to correct problems remotely.
• Notifies the appropriate technician to the building to investigate and correct issues.
Utility Interruption Calendar and E-mail Notification
• Updates and maintains the utility (Steam, electricity, chilled water, domestic water, sewer, etc.) interruption calendar daily.
• Sends out an email notification to customers before the interruption occurs.
• Provides security around the yard and other designated secured spaces.
Provide an Effective and Secure Learning/Teaching Environment
• Provides an environment of acceptable temperature, humidity, noise level, contaminant levels, and safety to allow for effective living/earning to occur.
This position does have supervisory responsibility for 6 Building System Control Operators. This position reports administratively and functionally to BSC Manager.
A High School Diploma or GED is necessary.
Previous supervisory experience is necessary.
At least 2 years of experience in HVAC, fire alarm work, or in a call center/dispatch center is necessary.
Proficient with Microsoft Outlook and Excel is required.
Good communication skills is required.
Ability to work well under pressure is required.
Experience monitoring alarms is preferred.
Knowledge and experience with Simplex, Honeywell, Automated Logix, and Johnson Controls is preferred.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 37560 - Utility Distribution
Job: Service/Maintenance Supervisor
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action