Vanderbilt University Administrative Officer - Mass Spectrometry Research Center (MSRC) in Nashville, Tennessee
Administrative Officer - Mass Spectrometry Research Center (MSRC) (Job Number: 1802149)
Position Summary :
The Administrative Officer advises the Center Director to achieve departmental goals by coordinating fiscal and human resource activities, equipment purchases, and by providing facilities management. The Administrative Officer will play a key role in the financial, human resources, operations/facilities and sponsored projects activities for the Mass Spectrometry Research Center. Several key investigators with sponsored research and other educational activities are housed within the MSRC and all affiliated activities with these projects are under the responsibility of the Administrative Officer. The Administrative Officer works closely with the POD financial, pre-award, and human resource team to accomplish objectives.
About the WorkUnit : The Mass Spectrometry Research Center (MSRC) provides state-of-the-art mass spectrometry expertise, methodology, and instrumentation to the research and clinical infrastructure of the Vanderbilt University and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The MSRC includes three CORES, several individual research groups and a National Center for Imaging Mass Spectrometry. Educational programs include weekly seminars, monthly journal clubs and annual week-long courses for analytical chemistry training.
Key Functions andExpected Performance:
Financial Oversight :
· Assume responsibility for, approve and verify all financial commitments.
· Forecast, analyze and manage the financial performance of the Division.
· Identify and recommend changes in operation which would improve financial performance.
· Communicate regularly with Center Director and faculty regarding individual funding; work with same to optimize individual funding and identify/predict any areas of concern.
· Understand and ensure that all transactions and Division policies are in conformance with Department, VU and other agency guidelines.
· Plan annual budget.
· Update and maintain faculty compensation plan information for Director.
Human Resources :
· Coordinate all personnel and payroll functions.
· Perform and/or coordinate annual evaluations on all employees.
· Understand VU HR/Benefits policies and communicate changes to faculty and staff.
· Monitor pay levels to ensure internal salary equity (includes research faculty.)
· Mange administrative and support functions within the Center and create/modify processes as needed.
· Responsible for facilitating research faculty recruitment, appointments, reappointments and promotions.
· Responsible for facilitating fellow recruitment, appointments and reappointments.
Coordination of Facilities and Equipment:
· Maintain space and equipment database for Center.
· Coordinate moves, renovations.
· Understand and apply VU space and facility policies in order to maintain compliance with fire codes, hazardous waste regulations, chemical storage, etc.
· Prepare annual space survey information used for indirect cost calculations.
Support Multiple MSRC Cores:
· Responsible for monthly billing event for 3 MSRC Cores.
· Assist Cores Director (Faculty) with projections of budget and staffing.
· Prepare reports and usage information for Contributing Centers annual grant reporting.
· Coordinate external research agreements and submit to OCGA for approvals.
Support of Sponsored Programs:
· Assist faculty in all phases of extramural funding process from pre- to post-award.
· Advise faculty of funding opportunities and serve as a resource for extramural funding information in conjunction with Department’s Office of Sponsored Programs Services.
· Coordinate planning aspects for annual P41 Center Grant AIMS course including speakers, venue, room scheduling, expense reporting and registration.
· Optimize grant funding.
MSRC Travel Coordinator :
· Travel booking for all visitors, recruits, seminar speakers, Board members and AIMS annual course faculty.
· Assist all Center members with expense reporting in Oracle, assign funding as appropriate.
SupervisoryRelationships : Directly supervise research analyst position: reports to Principal Investigator
Experience and Skills:
· Bachelor’s degree is necessary.
· 2 years of experience in an academic setting is preferred
· 2 years of experience in grant management is preferred
· 2 years of experience in financial statement preparation is preferred
· 2 years of experience in account reconciliation is preferred
· 2 years of budget preparation experience is strongly preferred.
· Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Vanderbilt systems is preferred.
· 2 years of experience in management of personnel and payroll administration is preferred
About Vanderbilt Benefits
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU Benefits Overview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/6.1.17BenefitsOverview-Candidate-.pdf .
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 and located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. The university’s students and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 18250 - Mass Spectrometry
Job: Fiscal Affairs Professionals
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action