Vanderbilt University Administrative Coordinator - Strategic Communications in Nashville, Tennessee
Administrative Coordinator - Strategic Communications (Job Number: 1802222)
The Administrative Coordinator is a key individual contributor responsible for performing a variety of administrative and staff support duties for the Office of Strategic Communications within the Division of Communications, which require a range of skills and a knowledge of organizational policies and procedures. The position resolves administrative problems and inquiries; composes, edits, and proofreads correspondence and reports, and prepares a range of administrative documents. The Administrative Coordinator will also provide assistance with managing the Strategic Communications budget. This position will provide direct administrative assistance to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Strategic Communications, will report to the Projects and Planning Manager and will support the Strategic Communications team.
About the Work Unit:
The Administrative Specialist will be a member of the Office of Strategic Communications within the Division of Communications, reporting to the Projects and Planning Manager. The Office of Strategic Communications designs and executes integrated communications strategies to protect and enhance Vanderbilt’s local, national and international reputation, and positions the university as one of the world’s leading academic research institutions across a variety of digital and traditional channels.
Duties,Responsibilities, and Expected Outcomes
Theprimary duties for this position will include:
· Provides administrative support to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Strategic Communications, including meeting scheduling and calendar maintenance.
· Creates media monitoring reports for Division of Communications management, the university’s senior management committee and others as needed.
· Writes, formats and proofreads documents of several types, including reports, presentations, website materials and spreadsheets.
· Assists in the planning, coordination and execution of meetings and events.
· Attends meetings, and records and distributes meeting notes.
· Under the supervision of the Projects and Planning Manager, assists with monitoring and managing the Strategic Communications budget.
· As the Procurement Requestor for the department, submits contracts for appropriate approvals and inventories deliveries.
· Makes departmental purchases and submits timely and accurate expense reports.
· Maintains and orders office supplies and equipment and maintains office inventory.
· Processes travel expense reimbursements for the Assistant Vice Chancellor and other Strategic Communications staff members as needed.
· Helps administer employee recognition programs.
· When appropriate, coordinates IT support for staff.
· Assists staff with filing of VU records.
· Maintains Strategic Communications’ master calendar of events, on-call staffing and individual staff schedules.
· Assists with hiring and onboarding of new employees , including office set up and coordination of computer, phone, and suite access as needed.
· Provides administrative and operational support to Strategic Communications staff, as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education is necessary, with major coursework in communications, higher education or business preferred.
· Two years of experience in a professional/administrative capacity is necessary.
Experience and Skills:
· Utmost adherence to confidentiality and business ethics; Ability to build trust and interact with managers and executives with confidence and discretion.
Outstanding interpersonal communication andcollaboration skills and the ability to work effectively with teammembers.
Experience and comfort working in a deadline-drivenenvironment of multiple projects and quick turn-around requirements.
· Skill in oral and written communication.
· Skill in planning and organizing.
Wellversed in basic office software tools (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Word,PowerPoint, Outlook), and other software tools for communication, analysisand office operations.
Experiencenavigating institutional policies and procedures, and will want to expandand deepen their knowledge and experience.
This position does not have supervisory responsibility and reports administratively and functionally to the Projects and Planning Manager for Strategic Communications.
Creative Thinking –Goes beyond the boundaries of the job description, willingly takes on newchallenges, and finds creative solutions rather than always awaitingdirect instructions.
Adaptability –Reads cues and adapts accordingly. Adjusts style and approach toaccommodate the styles and needs of others. Can anticipate and effectivelyde-escalate potential conflicts.
Integrity –Holds oneself accountable; takes responsibility for failures as well assuccesses, recognizes that trust is required to hold a team together.
Responds Promptly –Recognizes that when emails and phone messages aren’t returned in a timelyway, it sends the message that the other party is not important. Respondseven if just to acknowledge receipt and provide a timeframe by which therequester can expect a full response.
Shares –Shares information. Communicates proactively. Transmits knowledge;recognizes that “knowledge is power” is less effective than “sharingknowledge is power.” Asks for advice and considers it thoughtfully.
Works through Issues –Recognizes that the work is about successful outcomes. If things aren’tgoing well, outcomes suffer. Is willing to have crucial conversations ifthings aren’t going well. Doesn’t just complain to management…doeseverything possible to remedy the situation directly first.
Raises the Bar –Expects and delivers excellence. Is a creative problem solver. Isproactive. Welcomes input on making things better. Places a high value onlearning and getting better.
Autonomous –Self-managing; self-motivated. Manages time, activities and outcomes wellso that progress stays on track. Cleans up after themselves.
Eager –Enthusiastic, wants to learn, wants to continue one’s personal andprofessional development and expertise.
Adaptability – Adjusts work priorities toaccommodate the fluid nature of departmental demands, while still honoringstatic deadlines.
About Vanderbilt Benefits
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU BenefitsOverview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/2018-Benefits-Overview_Future-Employees.pdf .
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 and located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. The university’s students and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 41300 - News and Communications
Job: Administrative / Office Support Supervisors, Leads, and Staff
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action